- Serbia is considering banning their country’s Pride parade.
- Drag star Sahara Davenport has died at age 27.
- Orlando Cruz has come out as the sport of Boxing’s first openly gay man.
- [content note: transphobia, institutionalized discrimination] A doctor in New York failed to inform his trans patient of a breast cancer diagnosis–and that was just the beginning of the patient’s nightmare quest for access to medical care.
- [content note: homophobic slurs] 42 years ago, a bullied Vancouver high school student had his yearbook message replaced by a homophobic slur. Decades after the school refused to apologize for publishing the slur, he may finally get official redress.
- NoHomophobes.com tracks the use of homophobic slurs on Twitter, and the numbers are distressing. However, the methodology doesn’t yet account for reclaimed/positive use of terms by members of the queer community, as demonstrated by spikes in occurrences of the word “dyke” coinciding with Dyke Marches in different cities.
- A mother blogs about her desire to create safe spaces for her child, who likes sparkly shoes despite some people having a problem with that.
- Ottawa’s Saunders Farm will be donating a portion of their proceeds in memory of Jamie Hubley.
Chelsea Edgell: Communications & Promotions Coordinator