- Check out this heartwarming story of a German father who changed up his wardrobe to support his gender non-conforming son.
- A Taiwanese Christian lesbian wrote a powerful letter to her father and published it on her blog. A good portion of it has been translated into English.
- [content note: homophobic violence] Rohin Guha laments the lack of media coverage surrounding the shooting of a young lesbian couple in Texas, and calls on people with influence to speak out.
- Major League sports have been making more statements in support of gay athletes, but Queerty talks to some people who think it’ll be another 4-5 years before we see an openly gay major league athlete.
- Anna Reid, MD, has become the first openly queer President of the Canadian Medical Association, according to The Advocate.
- [content note: transphobia, suicide] A study conducted in Virginia has confirmed what many would consider obvious: being the target of anti-trans violence results in higher rates of suicidal ideation and substance abuse in trans persons.
- A gay activist goes undercover at an anti-gay student conference.
- Tim Chevalier has published an essay relating his experience with oppressive community dynamics at Mozilla.
- New York Magazine ran an article profiling agender individuals (one of whom is also asexual); unfortunately the piece includes some problematic language, conflates nonbinary with agender identities, and places undue emphasis on surgical status.
This week’s roundup is a little sparse, due largely to our recent office move. If you have a link you’d like to see in the weekly roundup, don’t hesitate to share!
Chelsea Edgell: Communications & Promotions Coordinator