- Check out the official Capital Pride Guide!
- [content note: cissexism] The New York Times published an article on genderfluid children that features some cute stories of loving families, but unfortunately also misrepresents trans identities and perpetuates some very tired stereotypes.
- Mary Elizabeth Williams says: “Bring on the gay Boy Scouts!”
- [content note: forced outing] Azariah Southworth writes about outing a gay Christian speaker without his permission or consent. The incident has sparked a debate on the ethics of outing someone if they are actively harming the queer community.
- Nadine Thornhill pens a quick tribute to the history of the Rainbow Flag.
- The BC NDP is calling for trans protections to be explicitly outlined in the BC Human Rights Code.
- A study of the use of gendered pronouns in literature shows a rise in the use of feminine pronouns over time. Next step: widening the purview beyond simply he and she!
- Jim Sterling defends GaymerCon against accusations of self-segregation.
- The American Federal Aviation Administration has eliminated unnecessary psychological testing that had previously been required for trans pilots.
- Mary Gonzalez will be the first out pansexual legislator in the USA.
- The Advocate has a medal count of all the out queer athletes in the 2012 Olympics.
- Sadly, the International Olympic Committee is not standing up for the rights of gay athletes and it seems there will be no Pride House in Sochi’s Olympic Village in 2014.
- Taiwan’s first known same-sex Buddhist wedding took place this past weekend., despite the fact that same-sex marriages are not yet legally recognized in the country.
- Even though homosexuality is illegal in Uganda, the country’s queer community courageously had their first Pride Parade.
Chelsea Edgell: Communications & Promotions Coordinator
Check out the official Capital Pride Guide!